Does your stove no longer making that distinguishable “clicking” noise when you’re trying to light it? This is an all too common problem among gas burning stoves an can become a quite headache if you are unable to fix it. Thankfully, though, you can usually narrow the problem down by following a few simple steps; here’s how:
Identify Your Stove
First and foremost, you need to identify what type of stove you have in your home. Take out a pen and paper and write down whether it’s electric or gas, the make, model and serial number of your stove. This information will be used to better assess the issue as to why it’s not clicking when you try to turn it on.
Now, check to see if any of your eyes will turn on. Sometimes the ignitor is only faulty for a certain eye, which leaves the other ones free to use. If it’s only a problem with a certain eye, you can probably get by with just using the others. After all, who really cooks with all the eyes on their stove?
The most likely reason why a stove no longer makes a clicking noise is due to a faulty spark module. Like most types of electric components, spark modules can burn out and stop working over time. When this happens, the module will no longer be able to create the spark necessary to ignite the gas. If you have access to the module, check to make sure it’s clean and free of any dirt, dust and food debris. Sometimes food particles can get stuck on the ignitor, preventing it from properly sparking when the button is pressed.
After cleaning the spark module, give it another try to see if it works. If it still doesn’t work, you may want to replace it with an entirely new module. You can take that sheet of paper with the information about your oven up to a home improvement store to find the module that’s right for your unit.
Another reason why your stove may no longer click when you’re trying to turn it on is because of faulty wiring. If the wiring has corroded or become otherwise damaged, it could prevent your ignitor from working properly. As with most electrical work, only a professional should come out and check the wiring. Even if you’ve turned your circuit breaker off, there’s still a chance of electrocution when adjusting the wires of your range.